Department of Physical Chemistry was established at the Faculty of Science in 1921 as the first department of physical chemistry in Czechoslovakia. Department was founded by prof. Jaroslav Heyrovský, who was later awarded a Nobel price (1959) for his discovery of polarography (1926). Prof. Hyrovský was a Head of the department until 1952, when he has become a director of newly established Institute of Polarography of the Academy of Sciences.
The research in the department was primarily focused on electrochemistry; other branches of physical chemistry has become popular in 60's. Due to a strong interest in polymer science the department has been renamed to the Department of Physical and Macromolecular Chemistry in 1992. Currently, variety of branches of modern physical chemistry, ranging from experimental to theoretical physical chemistry and chemical physics, biophysical chemistry and macromolecular chemistry, are actively investigated in the department.
More information on the research can be found on the pages of individual research groups.